The Delia Gallagher Observatory

Formerly "The Delia Gallagher Admiration Society"


My Photo
Disclaimer: All the ramblings on this blog are solely those of Delia's humble bloggers and are in NO WAY endorsed and /or shared and/or read by its subject. In fact, she would probably cringe at some of the politics and opinions expressed here. Delia's images and likeness throughout this site are meant as a sight for sore eyes and are therefore posted in abundance.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

ET TU, DELIA?

I’d rather be speculating on the insult that triggered the headbutt seen around the globe, but Delia’s latest package has just plainly, plainly stupefied me.

That this publication called "Church Report" (I'm not putting a link here, no need to increase their traffic, since I never heard of them until now), a “national business news magazine that is distributed to over 40,000 senior pastors and Christian leaders from across the United States” conducted a poll of its subscribers and had the audacity to bill the results as the “Top 50 Most Influential Churches” - was not only unscientific at most and misleading at best – but that CNN thought it merited a package was just… pandering. And stupefying.



As someone who analyzes data for a living, I could say within a 100% confidence level that the poll was NOT representative of this America and is therefore totally and utterly STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT. First of all, the sample population was simply self-selected, and therefore inclined to poll one way vs. another. OK, the sample size n = 2,000 is more than adequate. But is it unbiased? Hell, NO. It’s like someone polled the entire GOP roster from the state of Texas for The Bestest President Ever, and they came up with GWB.

Significance to my life? NADA. NIL. ZIP.

But that Delia and CNN touted the results – that’s just plain WRONG. Who the hell is Jason Christy, the magazine’s publisher, anyway? Well, he’s got great hair, that I would concede. But just who gave him the authority to proclaim this list as "official"? (And influential how, may I ask? Good "influential", bad "influential", just what kind of "influential"?) Someone might say that these churches were voted by a jury of their peers - but just who are those peers and why is this list important? Why give it even one second of airtime, except to give it some semblance of legitimacy? And just exactly when did the preacher become the church anyway?

Well, apparently, the guy with the great hairstylist is developing a religion program with CNN. Given the date of the article (10/2005), this has been in the works for some time. Why not just come out and say it then – that Delia’s package is a precursor to whatever the joder that program is going to be. Why pretend that the list is somehow official and important?

Delia pimpin' the Church Report on Live From...

And if indeed, great hairdo guy is working with CNN and its FAV person to bring religion to our living room (or in my case, my ultra-cool, hi-tech basement)– then BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID. This same guy is launching a PAC, called Impact America, “to "educate Christian conservatives across the country by reaching in to their hearts and minds as well as into their churches (My thought: AND WALLETS!) with voter guides, candidate information and issue-oriented tours across America." Don't forget to mail your checks to its AZ address.

I just have this question, this heart-breaking, gut-wrenching question, right now:

WHY, DELIA, WHY?

These so-called Conservative Christian groups have brought NOTHING but division to this country, and I cannot even begin to describe the disdain I have for their hypocrisy and vile agenda, so I am not going there. But from Delia? C’mon, I expected better! I had hoped for a more cerebral, thoughtful brand of FAV from her and CNN – not this Fox News / Pat Robertson kind of crap! Do we really need this at this point in our lives? Instead of neutralizing these morons back into their caves, CNN is giving them their own f*cking program?

NO, NO, AND - NO. PLEASE, PLEASE, MR. JON KLEIN, DON’T GO THERE.

Delia pimpin' the Church Report on American Morning...


Delia Gallagher

________________________

12 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go get her, Herr Shepherd! Woof, woof!

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw her report about this last weekend. Those special magazine issues - with The Top 50 schools, hospitals, colleges, and, now, churches are completely laughable. Who creates these lists? They are meaningless. It's just a way for magazines to up sales for that particular week or month. I can't believe Her Hotness (and CNN) not only gave it airtime, but gave it credibility.

The very issue on the 50 Most Influential Churches insults the sanctity of religion. You can't judge the success of a church by how many people attend each Sunday, how much money the church has on hand, book sales, or by how popular or mainstream their pastor is. That's not what religion is about.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shepherd:

One cannot deny the significant growth of mega-churches, thats a fact. The report and discussion broadly spoke to this growth, regardless of what magazine had its latest list. CNN doesn't roll out new programs according to your conspiracy theories, so I'd hardly believe some outdated puff piece. Control your emotions and don't believe everything you read. Mark Twain could teach us all something about statistics. Its interesting to note that you as a blogger want to pick and choose whose information is more valid than others. Feel free to start your own lists, its America.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger German Shepherd II said...

Hi Anonymous (and don't think for a second I don't know who you are *wink*) -

Just a lesson on Statistics: Mark Twain may have said "There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics" - but he was no mathematician - I am. So I can tell which statistics fall under the Mark Twain criterion, and which statistics are actually empirically useful. And this list definitely is not scientific.

My conspiracy theories are much wilder than CNN and Hairdo Guy colluding with Delia - they involve Ken Lay drinking margaritas with Elvis somewhere in the Pacific - but that's beside the point. The truth is, this list was put out by a non-mainstream trade magazine and Delia's report did nothing but to give it credibility. Irresponsible reporting? I don't know, I'll leave that conclusion out to those who are "less emotional" than I.

Sure, I can start a list of whatever but I doubt it'd get a nano-second of airtime.

Thanks for writing in.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shep, you're spot on. The top 50 influential churches piece is ridiculously meaningless and just plain silly. I feel like it's an SNL skit or something.

I don't want an influential church. I want an open and accepting church with a preacher/priest who understands the message Jesus left with us all - love one another. It's plain, it's simple and that's it.

Religion is becoming far too divisive these days and I've decided to stay very far away from any 'organized religion' because it's become way too political and more about spreading hate than love.

I had high hopes for Delia but I wish she'd dig into some real faith and values issues.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the irony is that those people who attend mega-churches are probably busy watching faux news to see delia's piece on cnn.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brings to mind "The first shall be last and the last shall be first", so it looks like the top 50 will be in bad company later.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herr Shepherd and Delia show clearly how, as all the world, we learn life's lessons and unlearn our childhood myths and prejudices at different rates. Some individuals and some societies still believe in many gods; others have progressed to just one god; still others have progressed further to where they are realistic enough to see that we don't need any god to live by the Golden Rule. By far THE BEST BOOK I have read on this was written by a former Catholic priest become psychologist: Imagine No Superstition (Amazon.com)--read it!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger German Shepherd II said...

Anonymous -

I am not sure if your comment is meant to be a compliment or an insult or just a plain lateral juxtaposition of Delia's spiritual progression vis-a-vis mine. Anyhow, I would rather think of various spiritual grooves the way St. Paul put it: "There are many gifts but one Spirit..."

Let me say this again: I wish Delia all the best; she is really a BEAUTIFUL PERSON inside and out. And whatever her reports may be, I'll never ever question her own personal faith and values. (Even that is sacrosanct to Shep.)

Thanks for writing in.

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger x said...

You think this piece passed out credibility like candy? That was nothing compared to tonight's mess. I'm sure you'll have an opinion on whether Gallagher's lost it - do she and CNN seriously think it was worthwhile to compile a panel of "experts" and debate whether the wars in the Middle East signal the Christian Armageddon??

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger x said...

sorry - after following the link, scroll down about 3/4 of the way to find Gallagher's segment.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger German Shepherd II said...

Andrea -

Has Gallagher lost it? I don't think she ever found it in the first place.

Thanks for writing in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home